13 October 2015

A. Jay Adler's works in Footnote

A person I deeply respect said once that every Jew has a story to tell. She meant a story different from the others, I haste to qualify.

Our stories are vastly different in many cases indeed, although some - tangible and intangible - points of two different stories might be common. Another differentiating attribute of the stories is our ability to tell them. Mostly we are unable to, taking the stories with us wherever and whenever we go.

A. Jay Adler, though, in a small collection of his poetry and prose in Footnote: a Literary Journal of History, shows exceedingly well that he is more than able to tell his story. As he is doing in his superb blog the sad red earth.

Otherwise than saying that the reading was compelling and that I was engrossed* by everything offered by AJA in this, sadly limited, collection, I am not a literary critic and am not going to make a monkey of myself, especially not in a language that is not my mother tongue.

As for the common points of the stories: there are precious few between AJA's story and mine. I shall mention only the common name of our grandfather, which I have (in a way) inherited. Of course, I shall leave it to you, the reader, to find out - but first go and purchase Footnote: a Literary Journal of History. The expenditure will not set your finances back more than that you spend on a burger. And, knowing y'all, I can tell you that the journal will be much healthier and much more enriching than that other choice.

So what are you waiting for?

(*) And the reasons I am posting this two months or so after purchasing and reading the journal were out of my control, my absence from the blog being the witness to that.

0 comments: