21 July 2009

Rachel Veitch - 45 years and 600,000 miles later

Nearly 600,000 miles later, the 90-year-old Florida woman still drives her 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente every day.
Rachel Veitch back then:

Rachel Veitch now (the photo is not up to date, judging by the mileage):

We could all learn a few valuable lessons on loyalty, automotive care and agelessness from Ms Veitch, I am more than sure.
Asked if she considered trading in her car under President Obama's "Cash for Clunkers" program, which gives $4,500 to motorists who trade in older cars with poor gas mileage, Veitch replied: "He ain't gonna get mine. I'll die fighting for her."
Oh, and let's not forget the lesson on spirit:
Classic car experts say the 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente would likely sell for about $3,000 in mint condition, or up to $12,000 if it was restored to new. But Veitch says she'll never sell, and she packs a .38-caliber handgun in case anyone tries to take her chariot for a ride without her. "Somebody's going to go down with me if I get in that situation," Veitch said. "I'm not going down alone."
Way to go, Rachel! Till 120 to you and your Chariot, dear!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in our miserable climate in Ottawa, where salt is required in the winter, we can see that newer cars are better. Seeing rust on a car is far less common now, as is having to call for a boost at -20C. Up here cars do have a longer life than years ago.

When there was only the Big Three, there was no incentive to improve quality as you would cannibalize your own sales. This quality lack was what gave away the market to imports. Engineering, in the long run, will trump style and hype. 

SnoopyTheGoon said...

It is not about engineering, I dare say, it's more about quality control. I am sure that American engineering is excellent, it is that there wasn't a strong drive to improve quality. And you are right, competition is the best reason for improvement.

Javier said...

great story we need more of these

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Right.

45cfonypdlt0 said...

I hope I become this kind of bada$$ when I am in my 90s:
 "Somebody's going to go down with me if I get in that situation," 
 "I'm not going down alone."

SnoopyTheGoon said...

I would say feisty is good ;-)

Shawn said...

Absolutely right on the money, Javier! MANY more like this!

Keely said...

This is just plain awesome You Go Girl!!!!