24 November 2006

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Aside of slow, but sure, destruction of one's brain, surfing sometimes brings small gifts, the value of which is difficult to appraise immediately. About an hour ago I have stumbled on the following quote from H.L. Mencken in the Google home page:

The men the American public admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.
Being of a cowardly demeanor, I run like a rabbit on amphetamines from every generalization. That one caused me the same initial reaction. Then I slowly came back, crawling there and skulking behind the bushes here, to take another look.

Now I am scared even more, for my sanity this time. Let's assume, just for the sake of the exercise, that this statement is true. Now let's see: who are the people detested most violently in America nowadays? Uhu... And who are the darlings of the public? Ehe... and the conclusion is... yeah.

No, you are wrong, it does not stop here. Now, just for the sake of and to complete the exercise, let's assume that this darn statement is false.

I shall leave you at this point biting your own unsanitary toenails. Take it easy.

***

0 comments: